Wednesday 27 April 2011

Evaluation Question 5

Q5.
First of all, I attracted my audience my using models that were around the same age range as the audience i.e. teenage models both male and female. By doing this, male and female teenagers can have something to relate to in the magazine. Enabling both sexes to feel that they can relate to the magazine can be beneficial as this will welcome a wider audience to the magazine. I also attracted my audience through the clothing of the models; Ralph Lauren and Abercrombie & Fitch are a fashion trend that teenagers are currently following. By putting these images in the magazine, it again attracts my target audience.     

On the front page of my magazine, the cover lines included names that are very well known in the hip-hop industry  
Some of the models in my magazine had different hairstyles which relate to the recent type of hairstyles teenagers have in this time. The Mohican hairstyle is a typical type of hairstyle that males have, this can attract males with similar crazy hairstyles to begin reading the magazine just because of the similarity between them and the magazine. It is common in the hip-hop industry where artists go to the extreme with hairstyles, tattoos etc


The hip-hop genre is dominated by the black culture; I followed this stereotype because hip-hop is highly recognised as genre that is performed by mostly black people. It is also known that mostly black people listen to this type of music, so I used black models to attract that majority audience. But, to get a wider audience, Caucasian models should have been included to give something that they could relate to, instead of creating a bias type of magazine. I did not focus on the body of the males and females although some hip-hop magazines attract their audience in this manner, but I wanted to focus more on the music aspect in my magazine. 

I tried to attract the audience to the magazine by making my model to look into the camera, so that it would seem as if the model is making eye contact with the reader. This creates a sense of involvement where the reader begins to feel involved and apart of the magazine. Some hip-hop magazines have their artists looking away from the camera, this connotes that the artist feels too important or has no time for cameras and therefore makes no eye contact with the camera. This is a good effect that makes the artists look more superior to the readers; ironically it makes readers pay more attention to the artist that pays no attention towards them.

I included linguistic features in my magazine to make it look more suitable for my audience. I used a mixture of both Standard English and slang in the magazine because the magazine is directed at teenage hip-hop lovers who are stereotyped for speaking slang. Slang helps to make the stereotypical teenagers feel more related to the magazine however, not all teenagers speak slang, and this is why I decided to address my audience in both Standard English and slang to make both types of teens feel related and comfortable with the magazine. Also, hip-hop is not full of formal Standard English as it contains a lot of foul language, so in order to keep that vibe of hip-hop flowing through the magazine, some slang words were needed. 

I used hyperboles in the coverlines to attract my audience. The hyperboles help to exaggerate the coverline in my magazine to create more excitement and buzz around that particle issue. “Lil Wayne Comes Back with a Vengeance”, by saying he came back with a vengeance, it makes it more interesting than to say “Lil Wayne Is Back” etc.  

No comments:

Post a Comment