Wednesday 27 April 2011

Evaluation Question 2

Q2. 
My music magazine gives the typical hip-hop look as it is contains mostly males in the magazine. Although my magazine has a lot of males in it, I included a female to avoid the male dominance.
This was done to encourage the female hip-hop lovers to let them know that the magazine is not only for men. In hip-hop magazines, there are usually a group of male rappers posing in the photographs. I imitated this convention to keep to the hip-hop theme of magazines:  

The stereotypical view of hip-hop magazines are that they are full of angry artists, I prevented this look by using smiling models to add a different kind of theme to my magazine, but at the same time keeping it in the hip-hop category by displaying different poses that typical hip-hop artists make.

The hip-hop costumes usually show expense and brands to show that the artists make the money. They use props such as jewellery, brands and sometimes refreshments (expensive wine). In some of the photos I took. Ralph Lauren, Abercrombie & Fitch and some jewellery were used to represent this kind of hip-hop wealth in the magazine. Brands like Ralph Lauren and Abercrombie & Fitch are good brands for my magazine because they are the type of clothing that teenagers can easily recognise. 


This magazine is directed towards teenagers, this is why I used teenage models for my magazine. It helps the readers to relate with the magazine a lot easier because seeing people around their age group helps to create a comfort zone for the reader.

In this magazine I have included topics which my target audience can relate to. The obvious or most stereotyped topics that teenagers seem to have are on relationships, because of this I had included this issue in my magazine. I represented this social group with a male and female in a photograph close together, automatically teenagers will already begin to think that they are a couple because of that stereotypical nature teenagers have of believing that every male or female that are close to each other go out. I used this stereotype to my advantage to help represent these two models as a couple.


No comments:

Post a Comment